Anyone who suffers from allergies understands the discomfort and inconvenience that come with the condition. Whether you’re coughing, wheezing, and sneezing uncontrollably, you feel miserable with sinus pain and itchy, watery eyes, or you have skin issues like hives and rashes, allergy symptoms can cause embarrassment and interrupt your life. And while there is no shortage of treatment options, including medication, desensitization therapy, and so on, you would probably rather forego these medical interventions in favor of reducing the allergens in your environment and lessening the attack on your system overall.
And while you can’t easily regulate your work space or the great outdoors, you definitely have a large measure of control over your home interior. Using high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters can benefit you in a variety of ways and help you take control. Here are just a few benefits allergy sufferers gain when they opt to employ HEPA filters in their home.
- Trap smaller particulates. HEPA filters are designed to trap and hold particulates that are 0.3 micrometers or larger in diameter. Just for frame of reference, the average dust particle can be anywhere from 2-10 micrometers on average. So this type of filter will trap a lot of dust, as well as particles that are significantly smaller. While regular air filters will let much larger particles through, potentially blowing dust, dander, and other allergens around your home for you to breathe in, HEPA filters will largely eliminate these harmful particulates.
- Address more allergens. Because HEPA filters can trap such small particles, you shouldn’t be surprised to discover that the variety of allergens they address is much greater than the average air filter. For example, these filters not only trap common allergens like dust and dander, but they can also grab hold of mold, pollen, and even bacteria. In other words, you have a much greater chance of removing potential allergens from your breathable air when you utilize HEPA filters.
- Place units where you need them. It’s not hard to find portable air purifiers that employ HEPA filtration. And what this means for your level of comfort in your home is significant. You can find small, affordable units to place in every room in your home, or you can purchase just a couple and move them around as needed to clean the air of whichever room you’re spending time in. Of course, you may have to clean or replace filters frequently, depending on the level of allergens in the environment and how much you use your units.
- Make cleaning tasks more effective. If you’re tired of watching dust and other allergy-inducing particulates floating around your home every time you vacuum, you should know that there are vacuums that are designed to use HEPA filters in order to lock away more allergens every time you clean.
- Enjoy whole-home air filtration. You no doubt realize the importance of air filter replacement for your HVAC system, but you might not know that you can replace your regular filters with HEPA products. This will ensure the whole-home air filtration that means you can breathe easy every time you walk in the door.