Evaporative air conditioners are a unique way to cool your home. Not only can they provide the cooling power your home needs this summer, but they are also one of the cleanest and greenest ways to beat the heat. These evaporative cooling systems work by utilizing a series of moist pads – when the warm air passes through these moist pads, the water molecules evaporate and effectively cool the surrounding air. If you are thinking of purchasing an evaporative cooling system for your home, it is critical that you make a number of considerations beforehand. Here are five things you want to consider before you purchase an evaporative cooler.
- Are evaporative coolers more cost effective than traditional air conditioning systems? This is an important consideration to make, because it may differ depending on your energy needs. In some cases, evaporative coolers are more effective than traditional systems because they expend less energy. Plus, they utilize a much more sustainable resource: water. Not only that, but maintenance is often much less expensive with these types of cooling systems. It is important not to underestimate the benefits of regular HVAC system maintenance, but it is also imperative to know that evaporative cooling systems are much less demanding.
- Do you live in a region where evaporative cooling systems may come in handy? There are some regions where evaporative cooling systems may be more efficient. In fact, there are some regions where these types of cooling systems wouldn’t be effective at all. For instance, if the region in which you live gets very muggy and humid, an evaporative cooling system won’t be very effectual. However, if you live in an area where it is particularly dry and arid, like a desert climate, an evaporative cooling system may work wonders.
- What kind of evaporative cooling system do I need for my home? If you live in a one or two bedroom apartment, you may be able to get away with a stationery unit that doesn’t need to be installed or fastened down. However, if you are a homeowner and have the need for more cooling power, you may want to install an evaporative cooling window unit.
- What size evaporative cooling system to I need for my home? Evaporative cooling systems come in different sizes and capacities. Usually, this capacity is measured by cubic feet. So, if you have a large space to cool, you will probably need an evaporative cooling system with more capability. If you have a smaller home, you will probably need a lower capacity unit. The last thing you want to get is a system that is too powerful or not powerful enough for your home.
- Do I need to purchase extras and accessories? When it comes to evaporative coolers, you may need to purchase extra units on the side that are intended to make your system work more efficiently. Some of these accessories are extraneous, but you just never know. For instance, you may want a pump that drains excess water or a higher capacity filter that removes dust. In the end, purchasing these accessories is up to you, but they can make your evaporative cooling system work much more efficiently.