Fleas and pests in your home are not only a nuisance – they can also be harmful and dangerous to you and your family. Not only that, but they can also be a nuisance to your pets too. If you have cats and dogs, fleas can cause bites that can become infected. Moreover, cats – avid about their hygiene as they are – can actually swallow flea larvae, which can turn into worms that can latch on to the lining in their lower intestine and wreak havoc. So, you can probably guess how important it is to eliminate these pests before the infestation turns into a serious problem. Here are five ways to eliminate fleas and pests in and around your home.
- Quarantine your pet and don’t let them outside until the flea and pest problem is under control. There is a good chance that your flea and pest problem is coming from your pet bringing these pests inside from the outdoors. So, you want to take measures to isolate the problem. One of the most important flea control tips is to make the problem manageable before you get rid of the fleas for good.
- Give your pet a flea bath. Making sure that your pet is free from fleas will help your home become free of fleas as well. There are many flea baths that you can give your pet – that are both safe and effective. If you have a cat, it may be harder to give your cat a bath, but there are other options. For instance, you can use topical skin treatments that not only kill the fleas and larvae, but also prevent them from coming back. When it comes to killing fleas on your pet, you want to create a barrier so they don’t come back.
- Control the flea population in your backyard. There are many flea control safety treatments that you can use in your backyard area. These treatments will ensure that fleas don’t populate your outdoor areas. There is a good chance that your pets likes to spend time in the backyard, so it is important that you clear these areas if you don’t want your pet to be dragging fleas and other pests indoors.
- Use diatomaceous earth powder. This powder is remarkable when it comes to killing and removing pests inside your home. Diatomaceous earth is safe for pets and humans and consists of microscopic sedimentary rock. When fleas and pests jump and crawl through this powder, it coats their bodies and kills them. By placing a few teaspoons of this power around your home, you can aid in controlling a large population of fleas and other pests.
- Keep your home clean. One of the simplest ways to keep your home free of pests and fleas is to keep it clean and organized. Even in your closets, you don’t want there to be any major sources of clutter. A home can easily become a haven for pests if it is unclean. So, you may want to plan some heavy spring cleaning if you want to eliminate and prevent pests and fleas from taking over your home.