Is your home covered by a dull brown color? Is there a beautiful home just waiting to emerge? There is a good chance that your home hasn’t been pressure washed in a long time. There is also a good chance that a pressure wash can make your home look beautiful and brand new again. Oftentimes, a good pressure wash can save you a lot of money, because you won’t have to repaint or pay a fortune to have your exterior remodeled. Not only that, but if you are planning to flip or sell your home, giving your property a good pressure wash can increase the home’s curb appeal, which is worth its weight in gold. Here are five residential pressure washing tips for homeowners.
- Know when you are using too much pressure. When you are pressure washing your home, you want to make sure that you don’t go overboard. Damage can happen very easily when you are using pressurized water. For instance, if the paint on your home is dry and flakey, you could end up washing the paint right off your home. The last thing you want is to pressure wash your home and then have to repaint the entire exterior.
- Be sure to remove light fixtures, bulbs and other appliances before you pressure wash. When it comes down to it, you want to make sure that you remove any items from your home that can become damaged in the pressure washing process. For instance, light bulbs and light fixtures can break and become damaged, which could end up being quite costly. Not only that, but light fixtures could fall and cause injuries. If you have small children, you want to take this extra step to make sure no one gets injured.
- Make sure your windows are closed and protected before you pressure wash. The last thing you want is water damage inside your home. Water damage will not only cause structural problems, but it can also cause mold to grow and proliferate. Not only that, but you want to make sure your windows are supported, because if the water pressure is too high, it could actually crack or break your windows, which is certainly not something you want when your pressure wash your home.
- Hire the professionals if you don’t know what you are doing. When it comes down to it, you could seriously damage your home if you try to pressure wash your home and don’t know what you are doing. This is the reason why hiring a special pressure washing service, like J & J Services, to complete the job is so important. In the end, you want to make sure that you don’t damage your home and you want to make sure that your exterior gets properly pressure washed.
- Be careful with painted wood exteriors. Painted wood can be especially delicate to the pressure washing process. Many older homes have painted wood exteriors. If this is the case, you probably want to use a lower pressure setting. If the paint has been treated, there is a chance that that it will stand up to the pressure, but you never can be too careful.