Just because it’s winter, it doesn’t mean that you don’t have to maintain your swimming pool. In fact, the winter is the perfect time to maintain your swimming pool, because you don’t want to unfurl that pool covering in the spring and realize you have a lot of expensive repairs or maintenance. In fact, if you have swimming pool, it is vital to perform regular, preventative maintenance, so that you don’t have a big repair under your belt when the weather finally starts to get warm again. Not only that, but doing preventive maintenance can save you money and time. Here are the top five general maintenance tips for your swimming pool.
- Make sure the filter is in working condition and is clean. Your pool needs about ten to twelve consecutive hours of filtration a day. Filtration will not only clean your pool of debris, but it will also circulate the water. Movement and circulation is critical – even in the winter - because it will prevent bacteria, algae and other debris from building up. Not only that, but the more circulation there is, the more filtered the water will be, which can make your pool water even cleaner.
- Clean the filter on a regular basis. Have you ever seen a filter that hasn’t been cleaned? A dirty filter is indeed not a pretty sight. This is why it is important thoroughly clean the filter on a regular basis. In some instances, a hose won’t cut it. This is why you need to have a high-powered adapter to your hose, because sometimes the filter can be especially filthy. You may also need to use industrial strength cleaners to make sure that the filter is completely clear of bacteria. If the filter is beyond repair, you may need to replace it.
- Vacuum and brush your pool once a week. Many pools have areas where water has a hard time moving, so it can become stagnant. This is why brushing and vacuuming is so important, because it will remove the bacteria that has built up. If you don’t want to incur the cost of having someone clean your pool every week, you could invest in an automatic cleaner. However, it is recommended to have the pool professionally cleaned by the professionals, like Carefree Solutions, once a month.
- Make sure to test your pool for pH balance consistency. Many pools have some kind of sanitizer added to them. However, sometimes the pool may be lacking sanitizer and other chemicals that keep it clean. So, you want to be sure to test the pool every couple of weeks. If the pool has an off-balance pH balance, there is a good chance that you need to add more chemicals.
- Add sanitizing chemicals when your pool needs it. Things like chlorine and other sanitizing chemicals will keep your pool free of bacteria and other disease carrying bodies. Not only that, but your pool will be clean enough to swim safely. When the winter is over, you will be glad that you took care of your pool.