Warning Signs and Symptoms of Black Mold in Your Home

There’s nothing worse than a mold infestation in the home. Almost any other issue can be resolved when you have the time and money to focus on the project. But you simply can’t delay with mold. Even benign mold strains can wreak havok on your sinuses, and certainly leave a smell you won’t enjoy too much. But black mold is highly toxic, and can lead to major health issues that could become chronic if the suferer continues to live in that situation. Mold remediation is costly and time-intensive, and will require you to leave you home for weeks until the job is done. But if you don’t think that sacrifice is worth it, do some quick research online and check out how devastating the physical effects can be. Here are some of the warning signs and symptoms of black mold in your home.

The first thing you might notice is a discoloration at the site of the mold infestation. This is often the first clue that you’ve got a problem, as mold usually grows out of sight. Mold likes wet, dark areas, which often means your basement, under the floors or even in the walls. But as the growth progresses you’ll see a wet, discolored mark. It could start out yellow, but will cycle through darker colors, from green to brown, and finally to black.

Even if you see no discolored mark at all, you will notice the odor. Mold has that mildew, musty smell that you’re probably familiar with if you’ve even been in a room that hasn’t seen fresh air in awhile. The smell will get more intense if it rains, or if you’ve got a really hot day on your hands. And when you run your air conditioner or central heating there will be no question that mold is present.

Physically, mold causes a ton of serious side effects. In the beginning, before things get too serious you’ll probably see an increase in allergy issues. Mold releases spores that fill the air in your home, getting right into the lungs of everyone who is present. It only takes a few minutes for mold to impact your respiratory system, so imagine the damage if you live in the house. If you leave things too long, the allergies could develop into chronic sinus infections, or even the onset of asthma. Serious mold issues could actually become deadly for children or seniors who have pre-existing respiratory problems.

Another key symptom of mold issues in the home is if someone in your family develops conjunctivitis. This is basically an allergic reaction to the black mold, and the result is your body’s attempt to fight against the assailants. Histamines are released into your system, and that affects your eyes. You’ll notice
significant itching and watering, and constant irritation that could lead to red color. It will only go away with an antihistamine regiment, but if you don’t resolve the mold issue the conjunctivitis will continue to come back.

As the black mold works its way through the home, the physical issues will begin to worsen. The more you inhale the mold spores, the more intense the damage to your lungs will become. You should immediately installĀ clean ac evaporator coils and have the mold remediated if you notice any type of infection. But at that point, much of the damage may already have been done. You could have a string of infections that riddle your body, causing blood clots and bleeding. Things will get dire if your system is already compromised by any sort of immune issue.

Related posts:

  1. Common Signs of Mold and Moisture Problems in a Home
  2. How to Identify Toxic and Non-Toxic Mold in Your Home
  3. How to Detect and Prevent Mold and Moisture Problems in Your Home
  4. Why It’s Important to Test for Mold When You Purchase a Home
  5. Common Signs It’s Time to Replace the Fence in Your Backyard
Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed.