Adding new furniture to your home can make it more modern and potentially more comfortable. Furniture can be a serious investment – a new sectional couch won’t be cheap. This is why it is important to make a few considerations before you purchase new furniture. The last thing you want is to not enjoy the furniture once it is in your home, or get sick of it after only a few weeks or months. There is no better way to experience buyer’s remorse than by making a purchase before you’ve put some forethought into how your furniture will affect the overall atmosphere of your home. Here are 5 things to consider before purchasing new furniture.
- Will everyone like it? Whether you have a family or live with roommates, you want to speak with them before you make any final decisions. If you have the executive decision when it comes to purchasing new furniture, you want to make sure that everyone in your household will enjoy it. You want to be sure that your furniture suits the purposes and the sizes of everyone who lives in your home. If not, it could be the source of building resentment.
- Size does matter. If you know the square footage of your house, you should only get furniture that can fit. This might sound obvious, but it is a little more complex than you think. For instance, you not only have to think about the size of room, but also the size relative to other furniture in the home. If you are looking to purchase a couch, you want make sure it matches up with that coffee table you love so much – and vice versa. If you purchase a piece of furniture without taking the size into consideration, you could constantly find yourself in discomfort, trying to reach for a drink on a coffee table that is awkwardly low.
- Is it easy to clean? If you have a large family, perhaps a certain fabric or color will attract more stains. There are some fabrics, however, the deflect stains altogether. Moreover, by purchasing furniture in a darker color, you won’t be able to see stains at all or they will be easier to wash off. Leather is a good option, but typically leather can be more expensive. Yet, there are a number of faux leather options that would be perfect.
- Is it comfortable? Some furniture just isn’t comfortable – either the surface is too hard or it isn’t plush enough. Yet, furniture doesn’t need to be plush to be comfortable, it also has to fit to the contours of your body. For instance, Ekornes governor chairs are great because they are both cozy and you can sit in them for a long time – most even come with a foot rest, which is perfect after a long day of work.
- What kind of feature does it have? Sometimes a couch is not just a couch, but also a pull out bed. Sometimes chairs have a kick out footrest and even a cup holder. Do you need all these extra features? Perhaps if you are building a home theater system you do. It’s also a question of how much bang you can get for your buck.