Just because you have kids, it doesn’t mean you can’t have a stylish and modern looking home. Moreover, you don’t have to sacrifice aesthetics with the fear that it won’t be family friendly. You might have to get a little more creative and resourceful when it comes to your choices, but it doesn’t mean that you have to settle for a limited pallet. When you have children and pets in your home, it’s important to design your home in a way that avoids the risk of making costly repairs. In addition, it is important to remember that storage is your savior. Here are 5 family friendly interior design tips.
- Use wallpaper instead of painting your walls. What happens if your child gets to the walls with a marker or crayon? Cleaning your child’s doodles off the walls can be a daunting task and sometimes it can necessitate repainting the entire wall. With primer and then a few layers of paint, this can really cost you. However, with wallpaper all you need is a rag and wallpaper specific cleaning solution, and that cleanup is pretty much easy as pie. Plus, there is some pretty stylish wallpaper out there.
- Use fabric coverings on your furniture that are stain resistant. There are many gorgeous fabric coverings for your couch, loveseat, and chairs in your living room that are relatively expensive and virtually impervious to major stains. Melted chocolate? – Just throw the covering in the washing machine and hang dry. Cranberry juice? – Just a light dab with a wet rag and it’s gone. You can even buy carpets and area rugs that are made with this same stain resistant technology, which can be especially important if your child likes to spend time playing in mud.
- Use shades that rise instead of drapes. For your window coverings, you don’t want anything your kids could possibly turn into a jungle gym. Roman shades are great because they are virtually stain resistant and you can pull them up to the very top of the windows. Plus, they won’t look so inviting for kids to play on. In addition, rising shades have a lot more versatility when it comes to aesthetic options for your window coverings.
- Provide lots of storage. While you are researching all the top Christmas gifts for kids in 2013 you should also be thinking of all the toys that will literally be strewn all over the house. However, if you install some smart storage systems in your home, you can make it fun your kids to put away their toys. Storage is important for any family, because there will be a lot of stuff building up. If you have nowhere to put it, your home can start looking like a pigsty.
- Use a family friendly color for the walls. If you want to inspire good energy and creativity in your kids, and in your home – it is important to decorate your home with big, bright colors, like blue, light green, and yellow. Bright colors can also make your home seem larger than it is.