Mold and moisture is a homeowner’s worst nightmare. Mold can not only look unsightly and cause a number of health issues, but also it can cause significant damage to your home and property. Some strains of mold spores can make your home completely untenable and can even cause your property value to drop to near zero. Being able to detect moisture is your first defense in being able to prevent mold. In addition, being able to detect mold will allow you to come up with solutions to make sure the excess moisture in your home doesn’t become a serious problem. Here is how to detect and prevent mold and moisture problems in your home.
First, if you start to notice an unusual buildup of condensation on the indoor windows of your home, this means that you have a moisture problem. What happens is that the indoor temperature raises and moisture starts to build up in the air – when the air hits the windows it forms condensation. This can cause mold to grow around the window frames. To prevent mold from growing it is recommended that you open up a few windows to regulate the temperatures inside the home – this will also create natural ventilation – or you could turn the thermostat down.
The same thing goes with your bathroom. In fact, this is the place in your house where the most moisture can get trapped and cause mold to grow. After a shower, you should first open the window, but you should also take a squeegee and get rid of water on the tiles and the walls. If too much moisture starts to build up and it becomes an uncontrollable problem, you could install a fan that can ventilate the air and reduce the humidity. Some fans are advanced enough technologically that they only turn on when it detects a certain level of moisture in the air.
Next, have a home inspector examine your home for any issues that you might not be able to notice. If you have an HVAC system with ductwork or if you live in an area where there are higher levels of humidity, a housing inspector can detect moisture problems before they even become a problem. In some cases they might even be able to detect that your home is over insulated. This means that in an attempt to make your home more energy efficient a contractor put too much insulation in the walls. This can effectively turn your house into a heat trap. The best remedy for this is to go into the walls to remove the surplus insulation. If you need a home inspector in your area visit the Home Inspectors Network (http://homeinspectors.net).
Lastly, sometimes moisture and mold isn’t visible. If you start to notice a certain musky odor in your home this is a sign that moisture is building up somewhere. It could be that you have a faulty dryer or washing machine or a number of other problems. At the end of the day, all it takes is a diagnosis of the problem so that you can rectify it before mold takes over your home.